In the year 1951 four young men, driven by this vision conceptualised,
created and constituted India's first ever neurological society. Dr. Jacob Chandy,
Dr. B. Ramamurthi, Dr. S.T. Narasimhan and
Dr. Baldev Singh brought all the disciplines associated with the science
of neurology under one roof and into the forefront with the Neurological Society
By March 1952, when the society had its first meeting in Hyderabad,
it had on record a total of 30 members from all over the country. And the first
presidential address was aptly titled "Neurology Comes To Life". It was at this
meeting of the society decided to publish its own journal dedicated to the NEUROSCIENCES,
Neurology India. The publication was subsequently registered at Madras under Section
5 of the Press and Registration of Books Act 1867 vide Metropolitan Magistrate,
Egmore (Madras) No. R.Dis.563/87 dated 25.02.1987.
Till 1963 the Society held its annual meetings with the Association
of Physicians of India which had its own sub-sections of Cardiologists, Pediatricians,
Chest physicians etc. From 1964 the Neurological Society of India
started to have independent annual meetings. Neurosurgical sub-section is affiliated
to World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies and Neurology subsection to World
Federation of Neurology.
The Society is registered with the Charity Commissioner, Public Trusts Registration
Office, Greater Bombay Region (No. F-1819 (B) dated 25th October 1969). In 1969
the Society instituted the Dr. Jacob Chandy Oration, and in 1974 it instituted a
second oration, the Dr. B. Ramamurthi Oration. The Society instituted the third
oration named Dr. R.G. Ginde Oration in 1988, the first lecture of which started
In 1974 the Society decided to hold a Continuing Medical Education
(C.M.E) Programme to be held along with the annual conference with
the intention of providing updates on selected topics and encouraging interdisciplinary
interaction among trainees in the various branches of the Neurological Sciences.
Dr. S. Kalyanaraman organised the first C.M.E. Programme in 1977. In 1977 the General
Body approved the formation of Neurophysiology / EEG sub-section.
In 1979 the Society accepted the Association of Neurological Nurses as a sub-section
of the Society. This sub-section was registered with the Registrar of Firms and
Societies, Chandigarh under Act 21 of 1860 as No. 1550 of 1988 and named as
"Society of Indian Neurosciences Nurses (SINN)".
The Society formed a sub-section of Neurophysiological Technologists in 1988 and
this sub-section had registered with the Registrar of Firms and Societies, Chandigarh
on 13th July 1989 as No. 1602 of 1989 and named as "Association of Neurophysiological
Technologists of India (ANTI)".
The Society had organised 9th International Congress of Neurological Surgery, 14th
World Congress of Neurology and actively participated in the 18th International
Epilepsy Congress at New Delhi in October 1989.